Hearing testing is performed to determine whether or not hearing loss is present, and if so, to what degree the hearing loss may be affecting communication. If you find yourself asking others to repeat themselves, or have difficulty understanding speech in the presence of background noise, you should have your hearing tested. The assessment is simple and the results may lead to a significant improvement in the quality of your life.
Answer “Yes” or “No” to each question, and count the total number of “Yes” answers.
- Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?
- Do you have trouble following the conversation when two or more people are talking at once?
- Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
- Do you have to strain to understand conversation?
- Do you have trouble hearing when there is noise in the background?
- Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
- Do many people you talk to seem to mumble, or not speak clearly?
- Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
- Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
- Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?